Thursday, August 2, 2007

Being Present

It's taken some time, but I'm starting to not be so shocked when a concept is stuck in my head, and it shows up in yoga, or when I especially need some words of affirmation, and they come to me through yoga. For some time, I've been taken by surprise when these uncanny "coincidences" have occurred—but now I know they are not coincidental at all. Strip it all down, and it's Law of Attraction, plain and simple. That's what I think, at least.

And what's the point of all this? Well, lately I've had a very hard time focusing on the present because I have a couple dates on the calendar occupying my mind. One is short-term, the other is months away. I've been so hung up on these dates, looking forward to them, that they've begun to play with my mind to the point that I've lost clarity to a certain degree. Nothing crazy, but in a way, I'm living a half-life, kind of holding my breath in anticipation, which really is not good with months to go.

So I head out for yoga this morning. Greg is teaching for Dolly, and his sutra, though I've heard it before from Dolly (and he acknowledged that it came from her in class) is about presence, the very thin line between NOWHERE and NOW HERE. Loved it! It was what I needed to hear, even if I know this. Because that future date in my head is really still nowhere, but I am in the now, here. And I need to keep that at the forefront of my thoughts in order to maintain mental equanimity, to enjoy the here and now while still keeping my eye on the prize, as a friend recently put it.

That future date may never come to fruition (though you can bet I'll be thinking Law of Attraction, Law of Attraction, Law of Attraction, Law of Attraction from now til then). But I can count myself blessed for today, breathe in this glorious summer, and just roll with it. Be here. Enjoy now. I've been struggling with this concept quite a bit, so forgive me for revisiting it again. It's hard for a Type A girl. But I'm remembering. And when I forget, the universe gently reminds me.

2 comments:

Michael said...

Breathe
Ilchi Lee believes that a habit of good breathing can prevent much unhappiness. So, if you become emotionally upset, do not try to analyze your situation by thinking. Instead, focus on your breathing . This is much easier and more effective. Stop thinking for a moment and concentrate on your breathing. Deep breathing will quiet your emotions and enable you to better assess your circumstances.” -SRV

Michael said...

Dahn Yoga
With roots dating back 5,000 years into East Asia history, Dahn Yoga offers a simple yet powerful way to reintegrate your body, mind and spirit through the cultivation and mastery of your "Ki" (life force) energy. This is a powerful exercise to master because it will stimulate your mind as well as your spirit. Dahn Yoga can seriously change your life! -SRV